1. I'm by no means a fashionista, but I *do* enjoy shopping. Boy clothes are pretty boring, actually. Especially athletic apparel (which is all my sons wear nowadays). So I save money by not having to buy frilly exquisite cute clothing.
2. While boys are definitely physical creatures, they are also kinda simple. They hit and then forget. There's no grudge-holding. They're mad, and then 2 second later, they're all best buds again.
3. Boy footwear is easy. Sneakers, sneakers, more sneakers and a pair of flip-flops.
4. Grooming products are virtually nonexistent for boys. They require a bar of soap and some cheap shampoo. Granted, I have to do the Mother Sniff Test to actually tell whether they've cleansed with soap or not, but so be it.
5. And personal grooming habits? There are no manis/pedis/facials being purchased for anyone else but ME! In my trenches, "beauty treatments" are the 3 of them lining up for their fingernails and toenails to be clipped and their ears to be cleaned. Done!
6. I was never the dancer/cheerleader type. I grew up in a family that constantly played and watched physical team sports. (Not that cheerleading and dancing aren't sports! They are!) This has certainly been carried over to my own family. We are involved in football, basketball, baseball and lacrosse. (Yes, girls play all these sports too!) Which I love. PLUS, the boys are constantly playing together, outside or inside. Hide and seek is a favorite. See?
7. Boy hair. There's not a lot to it. Boy hair requirements = barber shop for a buzz cut once a month.
8. Boy movies = dumb slapstick comedy....which, how can you not like?! Napoleon Dynamite is definitely a favorite. As is anything with Adam Sandler/Will Farrell/Jim Carrey.
9. Something we're just on the cusp of with Eldest: teenage boy hormones (he will turn 13 in October. Boys are fairly easy to manage though. They're emotional, yes, but their moods quickly change all the time. And they can be easily swayed. But the best part? *I'm* the only one in the trenches who gets PMS. Whew. That's a good thing.
10. Bathroom outings. Ever since the boys were young, my mantra has been, "boys go with boys and girls go with girls." Hence, my husband makes NUMEROUS trips to public restrooms when we are all out together. While I sit there smugly.
11. Speaking of the potty, I have to say that road trips with boys are nice. Boys can pee anywhere. And mine certainly have.
12. All 3 of my boys love love love their father. They are Daddy's boys, there's no denying it. But you know what? There's just something so special about the Mother-Son relationship. I'm their soft place to land and their shoulder to cry on. I wouldn't have it any other way.