Circa 1989 (in case the hair doesn't give it away) (I am directly in front of the coach with the *orange-ish* hair) (the girl directly behind me, standing next to the coach, is currently engaged to Rosie O'Donnell. For real.)
Last night was the first time I have played soccer in oh....about 20 years. For shizz.
You guys. I hurt today. Bad. But at the same time, good.
For your amusement, here's a list of differences in playing soccer at age 20ish vs. age 40ish:
1. Short bursts of speed? Easy at age 20! Now? Oxygen tank, please. And a sore groin muscle.
2. 20 years and 20+ pounds? I didn't know that KNEES could sweat. They can.
3. It's almost as if I completely forgot how to play the ball off the wall in indoor soccer. Must re-learn.
4. And getting burned by fancy footwork? I did. Lots. Grrrrr.
5. Oh, and staying on my feet? Notsomuch. I wiped out twice that I remember. (Maybe more...)
6. Related: Playing soccer in running shoes is slippery. (Why yes, I AM blaming my footwear for my turf ass.) (Why yes, I am buying a pair of indoor soccer shoes before next week.)
7. I'm much more polite now than I was then. Is that the mother in me?
8. I'm much less competitive too. We lost 5-2 but hey, it was our very.first.game. And it was fun!
9. Playing soccer makes you thirsty. For beer.
10. When I do finally score a goal (which I am determined to do), I may have possibly contemplated doing this at age 20, but nowayinhell