1. Most important: If you can, TRAVEL AT NIGHT. We usually leave for Myrtle Beach in the early evening after the boyz have eaten dinner. Then we only have to make one (or two) potty stops before it's time for them to change into pj's and settle down for the night with a movie on the car DVD player lulling them to sweet sleep. We learned a hard lesson last year after we drove home from Baltimore during daytime hours. Chaos, restlessness and irritability ensued. Hubby and I were outnumbered 3-to-2 and it was a long-ass 6 hours. Never again. We ONLY travel at night.
Pulling into the driveway after driving straight through. Someone who is NOT ME was looking quite chipper for 6am, eh?
2. Let your children pack their own bag for the car. I mean, obviously you must approve. Allowing your 6-year old to ONLY pack 47 baseball cards isn't conducive to anyone, if you know what I mean. But crayons, coloring books, word searches, clipboards, etc. are all good things to encourage your children to pack.
3. Make sure Nintendos/iPods and all other electronic devices are fully-charged before you go.
4. Gotta have Scooby snacks! (This is our family term for car food.) Licorice, granola bars, water, juice boxes. The key though is to not have too much sugar (hyperactivity!) and not too many liquids (I gotta peeeeee!).
You know you totally do that with licorice too.
5. I used to think I was being all Fun when I would purchase new movies for the boys to watch for the first time in the car. Notsomuch. You know how kids like to watch the same thing over and over and over again? Well, if they are watching a movie for the very first time, it may not necessarily capture their attention. (This happened to us. The movie was Gulliver's Travels. Needless to say, it wasn't a Car Ride Hit and the natives got restless.) Save your money and go with the tried and true. Just let your children pick which movies they want to watch.
6. Best tip ever? FLY if you can! Trust me, I would SO much rather take a 2 hour flight than a 14 hour car trip. But obviously, with a family of five, it is much more economical for us to drive to our destination, rather than pay for 5 flights and then STILL have to rent a car. So I grin and bear it, and try to make the best of it. And just remember, as a last resort, there's always Benedryl...zzzzzzzzzzzz.
This post is part of a sponsored campaign with Global Influence and I have been compensated for my participation.
JetSetVacations.com is a travel wholesaler with 15 years of experience that can serve all of your travel booking needs whether you’re looking for a family adventure, quick weekend away, or romantic trip for two.
- Every booking provides you with white glove service which includes a vacation concierge to assist you with your needs while you are on vacation.
- They guarantee the lowest rates to Mexico, the Caribbean, and Costa Rica and specialize in helping families travel on a budget.
- Enter to win $1,000 vacation credit and more by participating in the JetSetVacations.com Twitter Party this Wednesday night from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m. ET. For more information visit: http://bit.ly/ijMbgq