Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Was On the Evening News

Yesterday, I started out my morning by updating my status on Facebook as such: "I wonder if I could wear a ball cap at work.  I'm having a Bad Hair Day."

(This is an important fact for the end of this story.)

Mondays and Wednesdays are long days at work, since I now have Thursdays off (squee!).  So last night, I took the 6:15 train home, which is scheduled to get me to my car at 7:19...

Hubby was having an actual Coaches Meeting at our house last night.  (I say "actual", because that's usually what they call it when they go out for drinks:  "We're having a Coaches Meeting.")  I should have been home by 7:30ish, in time to finish the boyz' nighttime routine and tuck them into bed.  So that Hubby and his fellow coaches could retreat to Mantown to watch the Pats game gossip like women discuss football strategies.

My train left the station on time, and went to the next station to pick up more outbound passengers.  After that, we were on our way. 

Except, we weren't.

All of a sudden, the train came to a screeeeeeching halt.  The brakes were grinding and bearing down.  I was thrown a little bit forward, but not enough to bump my head.  We stopped.  And then?


What the #^*)$%?

My fellow passengers were groaning along with me.  What now, MBTA?

A conductor came over the loudspeaker and announced, "Sorry for the inconvenience folks, but we're on the wrong track.  We need to go back to the nearest switch."

I?  Was PISSED.  Here I am, working late, anxious to get home to SEE MY CHILDREN before their bedtime.  (I hadn't seen Middle or Baby that morning because they were still sleeping when I left for work.)  So if I missed them that night, and they were then still asleep this morning when I left (which they were), that meant I wouldn't be spending ANY time with my boyz.  Because of the f*cking incompetence of the MBTA.

So I tweeted about it.  And used the hashtag #mbtasucks.

While we proceeded to roll backwards all the way back to the original station where I had gotten on.


When I got home, after 8pm, I immediately went upstairs to kiss the boyz goodnight (thankfully, they were all still awake, so I got to chat with each one of them about their school day).  Then I began packing lunches.  I stopped to check my email, and there was a note from someone at Channel 7 news in Boston who had seen my tweet (Dooce is to Maytag as Sarah is to the MBTA?  Heh.) and wondered if I would be willing to speak with a reporter about the incident.

I replied, saying sure, and gave them my home phone number.

About 5 minutes later, the reporter (Sorboni Banerjee) called.  She had actually been on her way to Worcester to cover the story and to interview people getting off at the Worcester station (the final stop) but had gotten caught in traffic.  Could she stop by my house to speak with me?


(Thankfully I wasn't yet sporting my nighttime couture of bralessness, face-creme, sloppy ponytail and oversized comfy clothes.)

She and a cameraman arrived in my Trenches around 9pm to interview me.  They were really only there about 15 minutes.

(I totally changed my shirt and put on more makeup, by the way.  OH YES I DID.)

Here's the link, for your viewing pleasure.  (They spelled my last name wrong.  Video footage is a link at the top.)

And to be honest?  I really didn't even think about what the ramifications would have been if my train hadn't stopped.  [Meaning, we would have crashed headfirst into another train.]  At the time, I was just really pissed about getting home late.  But now that I've had time to absorb all the facts, it makes me shaky.  And thankful.

So my Bad Hair Day ended with a cameo on the 11 o'clock news.  Doesn't it figure?

P.S.  And then?  This morning?  Yet another incident on my rail line (this was 2 trains after the one I took this morning.)  Boy, the MBTA sure has some heavy explaining to do...this is NOT ACCEPTABLE.


foxy said...

YIKES! I'm glad they corrected the error when they did. Sounds like they need to be paying a little bit more attention...

Jennifer said...

Whoa! And I thought my Monday chaos in the grocery store was bad. I think the MBTA better do some serious shaping up! Hope today is better for you!

Allison said...

I am so glad I was able to vew your video! - I have some advice.....PLease don't ever ride that train again!!!! my gosh - stay home! so glad you are ok......your hair looked fine.

Emmy said...

Holy cow, glad you are okay! So funny that they found you through Twitter.
Came to your blog form a link in Buried with Children. Great blog!

A Christian Mom said...

Kinda scary! I'm glad that you were able to get back on the right track w/out something horrible happening!

Ashley said...

absolute craziness!

I would have freaked the eff out. Over the train and the reporter.

Kathy B! said...

Cool that you got to be on the news, but EEEK! That seems like a lot of near misses.

La Belle Mere said...

Mate, I can't get it to play properly. Sounds but no pictures... boooo.... I was looking forward to seeing you without a lampshade on your head!!

LBM xxx

Classy Fab Sarah said...

Wow, I am so so glad everything turned out ok - except for being late.

Also, you looked great on the news. Very shredded.

Anonymous said...

Hubby (your former roomie) wants to know why you didn't have a neck brace on last night for the news interview. He said now your children's college education is in the crapper. Could have been your chance to pay for college education. Maybe your neck didn't start hurting until today???

Draft Queen said...

I turned on the news and there you were! I yelled "hey, that's sarah!" and my guy was all "who is sarah?"

so I told him to shut it so I didn't miss you being all important on the news.

THEN I saw the train was involved in the incident this morning and all I could wonder was how many ppl had been on the train the night before. This is craziness.

I've alerted those who should know of my outrage. (In unrelated events, 290E was a freaking beast this morning. I am blaming the mbta for that too. If they were more competent less ppl would be on that road. Or something.)

Vodka Logic said...

At first I thought you were going to say you were in the crash at South Station. Glad you are ok.

I take the commuter rail to Boston, from Worcester quite often. Drive in Boston, no thanks.

We will have to get together for coffee sometime. :)

Off to watch video

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

Was glad that the train stopped Sarah. Glad you got home safely. And the footage was cool... and the hair was NOT bad!

Jen said...

You know something like this was going to happen since it was a bad hair day.

amanda said...

whoo hooo i know someone famous!! and for the record your hair looked cute :)

ps - glad you are ok!

Judy said...

Hey now, you're an all-star!

Congrats on the footage - you almost convinced me to get on Twitter (almost, but not quite)!

Fairly Odd Mother said...

One hundred FEET from a collision? That is awful!

Oh, but you look fabulous in your interview!

Shasta said...

Wow Sarah! That is so scary! I think I would be afraid to ride with them again, but I'm sure you have no choice.

Very cool that you were on tv though, and that they found you on Twitter!

Jen said...

Oh, Trenches! I saw that on the news. I mean, not you, but the report. I didn't know you were in Massachusetts!
Glad you are safe. Ah, the powere of Twitter.


Related Posts with Thumbnails