Wednesday, October 04, 2006

5 Years Ago Today...

I was in labor. My water broke at 3am (my immediate thought was that I was just peeing myself uncontrollably), and Hubby and I arrived at the hospital at 5am, expecting to have a baby sometime that day. I remember us giggling in the car about how our baby's birthday would be 10-4 (which sounds like walkie-talkie language.) Well, we thought wrong. Eldest was soooo not ready to arrive on 10-4.

Instead it was a fun-filled day of horrendous back labor (the only place I felt comfortable was sitting on the toilet, but the nurses wouldn't let me stay there because all the wires and cords I was hooked up to were stretched to the limit), a female Nazi doctor who refused to give me an epidural because I was STILL only 2cm dilated after 10 hours and made a nasty comment when she saw all my family in the hospital room that "this isn't a circus" (think I'm still bitter with her??), and a VERY long night of no sleep and numb legs that reminded me of tree trunks (I had a swelling problem--ie., CANKLES instead of ankles).

But through the entire ordeal, what kept me going was the fact that they would HAVE to do something within 24 hours of my water breaking, right? Haven't you heard that "myth" too? That once a woman's water breaks, that the baby should come out within 24 hours? This, in fact, is a LIE. By 5am the next morning, I was still pregnant and not anywhere NEAR 10cm and no one seemed concerned by this fact. The baby was "doing just fine" and "wasn't in any distress"--this is what I heard over and over again anytime I asked.

Finally we got smart and called MY doctor around 8am when her office opened. Being the hero that she is, she came to the hospital to see me. Her conclusion: I was maybe a "generous" 7cm, and my choices were either 1. to keep laboring until I progressed to 10cm with no guarantee that I wouldn't be too exhausted to even attempt to push or 2. decide to have a c-section right then and there. Needless to say, I chose Option Two. This was at about 10am, a full 31 hours after my water had broken!

Eldest Boy was born at 11:38am on 10-5-01. I was SHOCKED he was a boy. All the old wives tales indicated girl and everyone I knew was convinced I was carrying a girl. He surprised everyone. My life changed completely the moment I heard that first little cry. I was now a Mommy.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails